2018 is the year of greatness and greatness is not what I have but what I will give unto others diligently and with passion.
For the past three weeks, I have asked myself this question, ‘How will I experience greatness in the year 2018?’
Then, I remembered this Chinese saying, “If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help someone.”
Then came these quotes;
“The wise man does not lay up his own treasures. The more he gives to others, the more he has for his own.” – Lao Tzu
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens
“We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” – Winston S. Churchill
My thoughts were provoked and the mind shifted to another question, ‘What do I give, do or become in order to experience greatness?
This is when I came in contact with the writings of Leo Tolstoy and Muhammad Yunus;
The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity and that making money is a happiness, making other people happy is super happiness respectively.
I made it my action that I will give more than I shall receive. I know you are wondering possibly what can I give? well, there is a lot be given and here is my list;
1. I will give Humility and authentic friendship to my family, friends and partners.
2. I will listen more to understand in order to be understood.
3. I will respond rather than react.
4. I will be proactive in all my engagements.
5. I will inspire and transform all my networks with positive quotes, articles, phone calls, WhatsApp, messages and talks.
6. I will remain committed consistently.
7. I will let my actions speak louder than my speeches and writings.
8. I will give others the opportunities that they deserve.
9. I will give the best gift to people-the gift of SECOND chance.
10. I will value communication.
11. I will share ideas as well as implement them.
12. I will give back to the society through Rotary International.
13. I will give hope and humanity in the midst of confusion, selfishness, mistrust, chaos and wars.
14. I will love authentically.
It simply costs me nothing to be the best version of me and letting others experience the best version of me.
I sum it up with Dorothy Day,
“The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them away.”
You have my value and my best in 2018. You are welcome.